Thursday, November 6, 2008

mommy ears

Sleep changes forever when you have kids. It just does. For lots of reasons. But mainly, it's because you get 'mommy ears'. When Boo Boo was born, I heard every peep she made in the night. If she squeaked funny I was by her crib checking on her. And then when she got a little bigger, if her dolly fell out of bed, I heard it. Or even if she just moved around, I was aware.

The years have gone on and things have relaxed a little bit. My little one is thirteen and she can find the 'potty' in the night without me and I don't hear every move she makes at night like I did when she was younger.

That's what made last night all the stranger. I was startled awake by the whispered sound of "Mom!". My eyes flew open but I didn't see her. I knew by the sound of her whisper she should be right by the bed, but when I looked all around, there was no one. My heart slowed and I put my head back on the pillow trying to figure out what I'd heard. Was I dreaming? What's the deal?

Then it hit me.

My husband's sleep apnea machine was whistling. If it gets slightly off kilter it can make soft, airy sounds. That's what I heard. Gee whiz! Once mommy ears, always mommy ears.

No comments: