Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday-or I write on my clothes!

This morning I was reading Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer and realized I had two good tips just sitting there on my mental back burner. So here they are!

First of all... it totally made me laugh when she talked about getting jeans at the thrift store. I am so into that too. And yes, they're like $3 even if they still have the tags on them. I just bought a pair of capris that came from Dillards that still had the tags on them for $3. Score! But this tip has to do with some new jeans I bought. I have a hard time finding things that fit. I think most of us feel the same way. So when I find jeans I like, I'll buy two or three pairs. Well even though they all might technically fit, most of the time there are slight variations in the fit. And sometimes I'd rather wear one over the other... just depends on how many Oreos I've had lately. A-hem. Now.. here's what I do so I'll know which pair I'm grabbing. I write on the tags. I know! It kinda feels like running with scissors or something. I had to tell myself that, yes it IS ok to write on my clothes. So here's what I do.. I number them. I bought 3 pairs of the jeans in the below pic..and yes... all three fit differently.. but this pair fit the loosest. So I marked them with a 3. They are numbered by how they fit. So now I don't have to try on all three pairs to find the ones I want.

By the way.. in case you're wondering.. these jeans are Lee Stretch and I got them at Penneys and they are wonderful.
Similarly, when I buy new socks, I mark my old ones. Here's why. I still have old ones exactly like them. Yes I am brand loyal. But more than that, I buy what fits. And I have small feet. And if you have small feet, the athletic socks at Target with the brand of Champion on them run smaller and I don't have to tie a knot on the end of the toe to wear them. Just sayin'. Anyhoo.. I put little dots on my old socks so after a few washes I can tell them from my new ones. New socks feel different, but after a wash or two they don't look much different (thanks to walking around in my sock feet at home all the time). And my delicate ankles can tell if there are different amounts of pressure from the elastic and it bugs me. So now I can tell the new from the old just from checking for the dot when I mate and fold. For more fun tips, visit Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks in my Dryer.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I am often heard to say, "It's not about the kill; it's about the hunt!" That's the way I like to shop, and bagging a bargain (pun intended) tickles me pink.

Guess I need to hunt the Thrift Store more often. However, Sassy Grannies have to hunt where the fit is. Sad how my posterier and my height no longer have compatible measurements.

Kathleen

Smelling Coffee said...

I write on my socks too! I like to keep my pairs together - because sometimes the socks I wear get dirter than other times (like when I go outside in them.) I like to keep my pairs together, so I put a certain colored dot on the bottom of each toe. :-)

Great idea about your jeans!