I’ve had a lot of time to think about a lot of things since all of this new stuff began. One of the things I have given a lot of thought to is chemicals.
Chemicals in what I eat, in what I clean with and what I put on my body. It hit me that many times a day I was coming in contact with things I can’t pronounce and I know they are soaking into my skin or going into my system and I don’t know what they are, or what their real effect is on my body.
And so now, I am suddenly aware that I want to lighten what I have titled “my chemical load” so that my body isn’t working hard to weed out harmful things from my system.
So I have cut out sugar and white flour and anything I can’t pronounce from my diet. I am not eating animal fat or any meat other than chicken and turkey (which I already was doing). I have been concerned with what my meat eats..and that is very hard…nobody wants divulge the whole truth about what their livestock is eating..even “organic” fed chickens are fed a soy based diet..which is not healthy for me right now. Very often my meals look more ‘real’…real foods on my plate that are easy to recognize and haven’t strayed very far during food prep from what they were originally. I could go on and on and I’m sure I will as time goes on.
I am less militant during these times of healing because I don’t have the energy to go to the health food store and gather special ingredients right now. But I’m still trying hard not to break the rules as much as possible.
I am also working on cutting out a lot of the store bought things I use…lotion…lip balm…body wash..some cleaners…this sort of thing. I tried a recipe I found online for lotion and it was a fail. I haven’t given up on it though. I made some body wash, but I won’t use it until my wounds are healed, so more on that later.
I’ve said Yes to Cucumbers for lotion. I’ve also gotten acquainted with Burt and his Bees. It’s been interesting to see what is available now that I am looking and reading labels on evvverything. I feel like it’s an investment in time and effort that will pay off, not just for me, but for the whole family.
So you’ll be hearing more about the details of the changes I’m making as time goes on.
***If you have any favorite tips or web sites or recipes or products that you think would fit the bill, please leave me a note about them in the comments. Thanks, peeps!***
7 comments:
Bless you. Your attitude amazes me. I'm still praying that God will be especially near. My mother went through this almost 30 years ago and I'm thankful for her each day.
Kay, GOOD FOR YOU for advocating for yourself! You deserve all good things in your home and in your body. You are a gem.
Do you know Amy's blog, New Nostalgia? She is a woman of faith, is very knowledgeable about healthy food and living, and has had breast cancer: http://amy-newnostalgia.blogspot.com/
I love the Yes To products, and I have a recipe for homemade laundry soap. It calls for 1 bar of Ivory soap grated, 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of washing soda. I mix it up and run it through my food processor. Surprisingly it works pretty good!
I need to pay more attention to what we eat around here. Your post was a well needed wake up call. Hope your recovery is going well.
http://ohsheglows.com/
Lots of vegan recipes.
:)
This is a wonderful change that we can all benefit from....especially you, right now.
I LOVE Burt and his bee's...we've had a love affair for years. And YES to cumumbers is a newbie that i enjoy. (the facial wipes wake me up in the morning!!!)
I'll be looking to see what new kinds of things you come up with; lotion??? YES...I want some good for you and moisturizing lotion Kay!!!!
I heard something years ago as far as our food is concerned: Don't eat anything that your Grandma would not recognize.
Makes sense, right?
Thanks for the update...keep on with your healing my friend. XOXOXOXO
That's something I've become conscious of too, since my friend died of cancer. There are SO many chemicals around us. I wear gloves when cleaning house and keep the windows open if there are any fumes. I'm very careful about bug sprays, weed killers and any other "poisons." I could go on too, but I'll be interested in reading about the things you are learning.
Wow; what an adventure! It never hurts to make wiser & wiser choices.
Post a Comment