One day I picked up my bottle of shampoo and noticed almost every ingredient was a chemical of some sort.
So I did a little bit of searching…it seems as though there are people who don’t use shampoo at all. I had never heard of such a thing, but it intrigued me. So I tried it.
I used baking soda and apple cider vinegar. There are many instructions online for how to do it, but I will just tell you what I did and how it worked. I got out two ‘kid cups’ I had in the pantry and put about a tablespoon of baking soda in one and a tablespoon of vinegar in the other…eyeballing the amount, of course. And then filled each cup the rest of the way with water. I put my finger/hand in the baking soda cup to make sure the powder got mixed up really well and wasn’t just settled at the bottom of the cup.
First I wet my hair as usual. Then I poured the baking soda water in my hair. A little here, a little there, until my cup was empty. I worked it in really well with my fingers and then rinsed like I would with real shampoo. Then I followed it up with the vinegar and did all the same things..rub in, rinse as usual.
I will be the first one to tell you that I did NOT think I would like it…I did NOT think it would work. I thought the ‘crunchy granola’ people that had been doing must have a screw loose, because after all, I have oily hair and there just wasn’t any way it would work.
But it did. I did that for a couple of weeks until my first surgery and I couldn’t really deal with all of that in the shower, so I was using ‘regular shampoo’ again.
Until..the other day I was in Target getting some things and I started looking at the Burt’s Bees stuff and sort of eenie-meenie-miny-moe’d it and picked up what is in the picture and I’ve been using it ever since.
It works very well…it feels funny when I use it..it makes a rich lather, but it doesn’t feel slick in my hair. I don’t really know how to describe that. But anyway..it has been working very well for me while I’m in the shower.
But when I start washing my hair in the sink again, I really think I’m going to go back to the soda/vinegar routine. It’s cheaper and it makes my hair feel great.
Who’dathunkit!
5 comments:
I have a soap which I love called "Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap." I don't know if there is anything in it that you would consider off-limits, but it's biodegradable and we used to take it camping (back in those days), and used it for washing dishes as well as ourselves. We fell in love with it, and I still use it for hair, face & body. I use other soaps, too, but this is a staple in our house. http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm
I'm impressed!! I've used baking soda along with my shampoo to strip off hairspray residue etc, but didn't think I would use it on a regular basis. Learned something new today :)
You might also want to check out the "Yes to" products. There is yes to carrots, cucumbers, blueberries and a few others. Good stuff too!
I think I will try this...it has to be good. Vinegar and baking soda are good for sooooo many things. (Did you use the baking soda on your face??? Gives you a nice clean glow!)
I hope you are feeling well...you've been on my mind!
xoxo
I found out Johnson's is changing their formula for their baby wash (the one I had been using for Cooper) because it had carcinogens in it. Maybe I need to follow your guideline of not using anything that has ingredients in it that I'm not familiar with.
Post a Comment