Tuesday, March 1, 2011

first

*This post is just a hodge-podge of thought that I finally just hit “publish” on.

Put God first. I’ve heard this my whole life.

And thought for a long time that I knew what it meant.

Spend time with God ‘first’.

Do this or that for God ‘first’.

And then…???

I always hear “God first, then family”… or then whatever.

Well, if you ‘do’ God and then move on to something else, then where is God? He can’t be first if you’ve moved on to the next thing. He just lost His place in line.

You might think I’m splitting a silly hair here, but bear with me for a second. Then we can hold up the hairs and inspect them together.

What if…

…we just did God first. Period.

Or maybe what if we said God always. Not first, or second or anywhere else in line?

How do you think that would change things?

Now, I’m not saying to become a monk or anything. What I’m trying to say is what if everything we did were motivated by God and seeking Him? Praying and listening and doing as He pleases about everything? Whether it be spending time with Him as He guides…and pleasing Him in the process. Or spending time with your family or washing dishes as He guides…and pleasing Him in the process. All the needs are met by seeking the One and letting Him move you in the way He wants you to go.

Can you see how the motivation is different too? It’s not “doing this and then doing that”.  It’s pleasing The One…not everybody and everything. This is where we get bogged down sometimes. Doing things for our family because we want to please them..or we want them to please us in return. Or we serve on that committee because we want to make somebody happy, or we feel obligated.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you

What if keeping the house clean (or not..depending on how He leads)..or taking care of our kids or our family…or serving on that committee were part of the overflow..the “all these things will be added unto you” part?

Could it be that there is a wonderful way God wants to show Himself to you and me if we can seek Him? Only. And then watch what He does when we do?

I hope I didn’t ruffle any feathers here. This is just another one of the ways God has worked in my thinking about another one of the phrases I grew up with. And showed me another way to look at it.  

8 comments:

Beckypdj said...

Amen!!! Ruffle away Kay!

The Church is getting this. I've been hearing it a few different places. Putting Him first in every moment, listening for His voice in every situation. God only instructs LOVE. The LOVE of God worketh repentance. This is how the Church is going to reach the lost. It is exciting!!!!!

Dawn said...

hi :) i wrote about this very thing the other day... insead of a list with God at the top, i live in a circle... with God in the center... a part of everything i do and see and seek. :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Yep, this reminded me of what Dawn was talking about recently. IT makes PERFECT sense to me. he is always there...HE should be the center of our 'everything'
Love your random thoughts and just hitting publish...works for you. works for me to read you.
xoxoxo

Gberger said...

This makes sense...The word "infusion" comes to mind, with God infusing our lives more and more (I hope). Not compartmentalized as "here" or "there," but IN us, on a cellular level, with us wherever we go and whatever we do. Thanks for sharing your musings!

Jewel said...

Dawn is right, God is in the circle, and everything else rotates around. It isn't always easy, but it is right...

Amen sister! Thanks for writing.

Cheryl Barker said...

Great thoughts, Kay. Kind of like abiding in His presence at all times -- our constant Companion through whatever we do throughout our days. So thankful He wants to be with me all the time...

Amy said...

This is such a challenging reminder. Thank you! It reminds me of how Col. 3 tells us to set our hearts and minds on Christ. We can move through our day with Him as the center if our mind-set and heart-set is right.

Rebekah said...

Excellent thought! Thanks for sharing it. I heard Alistair Begg preaching along these lines just today, too. I must need to hear it....