Tuesday, September 14, 2010

color a pepper

P1030025

It’s that time again! Time to color chili peppers at Chili’s to benefit St. Judes.

Every year I stare at my pepper and can’t figure out what I want to do with it. This year I decided to take out a pen and write a short version of Bub’s story. (I think I did that last year too.)

I handed our stack of peppers to our waitress and she walked away with them. Sometimes that’s the end of ‘it’ and other times our wait person will make some kind of comment. Usually to the tune of “I’m so sorry for your loss” and then not really knowing what else to say. Bless their hearts. I usually try to keep the conversation upbeat because I don’t want them to be over-emotional about it or feel awkward or whatever.

But this year’s waitress said something new. She told us that her little brother is a SURVIVOR of neuroblastoma AND he was treated at the same hospital by the SAME doctor as Bub! I just about fell out of my chair. I was so happy for her and her family!

It was sweet and bittersweet all at the same time. Very precious.

4 comments:

Beckypdj said...

Very precious :) I like the "silly band" too.

Busy Bee Suz said...

So nice to hear a survivor story!
Our girls colored peppers last night!!!

Dawn said...

i will have to swing in to chilis! and what a gift... to her a story. i know it had to have been so bittersweet... but to know there is hope, that is beautiful.

Gberger said...

That is sweet - hooray for progress and solidarity!