Friday, February 12, 2010

they say it’s a record

It snowed! (and snowed and snowed and snowed)  They said we were going to get between 1 and 3 inches.  They kinda goofed up a little bit.  It snowed for 24 hours straight. I don’t think I can remember a time it’s ever done that here.   Oh yeah… officially we got about 12 inches.  Wow. Just wow. 

One time when I was a kid we had lots of snow and my parents wanted me to go get the paper and bring it in, so I put on my dad’s cowboy boots and shuffled out there only to get snow down my leg from the top of the boots. That’s about the most I can ever remember us getting. At one point the weather men were discussing what I think was that event and then saying we were going to pass it up. So I guess we did.  12 inches!

We didn’t play in it because we’re all sick now.  Lovely, I know.  But we’ve all enjoyed looking out the windows at it.  And I even stepped outside yesterday and this morning to snap some pix of it.  So enjoy. 

This was pretty early on.  Love the white in the trees.

P1010881

This is out the kitchen window. It pretty much covered the bush.

P1010885

I took a measuring stick out at some point yesterday afternoon and we were measuring 6. It continued to snow for another 12 hours after that.

P1010886

My pretty magnolia tree weighed down with snow.

P1010889

The swing set with snow all over it. Notice the branches weighed down above it.  There are lots of people without power today because of trees giving from the weight of the snow and snapping power lines.  We had a flicker last night, but we never lost power.  There are also reports of roof collapses and carports caving in. Thankfully we are all snug as a bug in a rug.

P1010897

How’d you like to sit your booty on that?!  I certainly wouldn’t now, but I remember doing crazy things like that when I played in the snow as a kid.

P1010898

More trees… heavier this morning.

P1010899 

Looking out the window, there is constant snow falling. It looks like it’s still snowing, but it’s actually snow falling out of the limbs. Sometimes a big ole chunk will fall. I wouldn’t want to be standing under that!

P1010900

More bushes covered.

P1010902

It’s is a good bit up the fence there too. 

P1010903

This has been a very typical El Nino winter.. very wet and more snow/ice than usual. It’s pretty and we’ve loved looking at it.  But a part of me longs for spring and warmer weather.  Thankfully this is Texas and it’s supposed to be 50 tomorrow!

10 comments:

Jill said...

Beautiful pictures! I don't think we've ever gotten 12" of snow here that I can remember. If you're like me, you've had your snow now, and you're ready for spring!

Thena said...

Well it's coming our way. We are all so excited. Their saying 2-4 inches for us so we will see. First time that much since 1989. My youngest daughter is wondering when it's going to get here. She's never seen snow.

Beckypdj said...

I live in Arkansas and we usually get some snow, it melts then it freezes overnight or it sleets and freezes rain, making for terrible driving conditions. This year we've had tons of snow!!!! Fun stuff and not too bad to drive on.

It's been a nice change, but I am ready for the warmer weather next week. Then we will have MUD from all the melting snow.

Stay warm Kay, and hope you all get well soon!

Busy Bee Suz said...

How fun Kay. I hate that you are all sick now...but you can enjoy it from your window! I do hope you keep your power and stay as snug as a bug in a rug until spring.
Love the photos..thanks for sharing.

Gberger said...

I hope Miss Boo is able to enjoy it before it melts! So glad you were feeling well enough to snap pictures. Happy Valentine's weekend to you!

Kim said...

LOVE looking at your photos. But happy not to be there -- NOT missing the snow at all! :-) I told Ivan I don't want to take furloughs during U.S. winters EVER. May change my mind down the road and actually start to miss the snow.

Nah, not going to happen :-)

Dawn said...

i love the way the freshly fallen snow makes the world seem clean and fresh and lovely! thanks for taking these pictures and sharing them with all of us no-snow people. crazy, i know... but i am envious!

hope you are all feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
~C~ said...

It snowed here too!!! Friday night into Saturday morning. It hasn't snowed here in 10 years and it snowed. They said we'd get 1 inch or so because we're on the coast, we got 3.8 inches in our back yard!!!! It was amazing! I grew up in FL so I've only seen snow maybe 5 times in my life, twice of those times this year. The kids played in it for a few minutes as it was snowing Friday night, then B and I went out and had a snowball fight and played for nearly an hour in the dark as it was still snowing, and Saturday morning we played for at least 90 mins. It's all gone now, except for the lump that was our snowman, but wow was it awesome while it lasted.

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

Boy, it took longer than expected to warm up, huh?

And admit it, if the weather people had said, "Expect a foot of snow" we'd have thought they were off their rocker. :)

It's a week later and we still have a pile in our yard from our snow fort. Amazing.

I hope y'all are okay.