Monday, November 2, 2009

who are you going to be?

What’s the question kids get asked this time of year? That’s right, who are you going to be? I can’t remember very many things I ‘was’ growing up for Halloween. I know I was never all that thrilled with the costumes, no matter what they were.

Because they were just costumes. Not the real thing.

And no matter what I wore, it didn’t change who I was.

But the question still begs to be asked, even as an adult. Who are you going to be? Who am I going to be? Am I going to be the busy mom that doesn’t stop long enough to spend time with God? Or am I going to strive to be the person God wants me to be?

Not that I can make myself into anything or recreate myself, for it’s God who is at work in me, for His good pleasure. But still, I can be a negative spirit by not submitting to the urgings of God to stop and listen to what He wants me to do and how He wants to go about recreating me.

And the two most important ways that comes about is by prayer and reading His word. So see, I have to actively say, yes I am going submit to these activities, and in so doing, submit to the One who wants to live in me and recreate me into His image.

So back to the question…who am I going to be?

This is who I want to be.

P1010562

This is the picture I have hanging above my fireplace. The first time I saw her, I wanted to be her. And I knew God wanted me to be her.

I love her so much. Sometimes I just sit and stare at her. She’s beautiful to me. Not just the picture itself, which is just a signed print, but her. She’s praying and she has her Bible open… because reading His word and prayer go hand in hand. I can’t really experience one without the other. They form a union that binds me to Himself.

P1010562

And bring me to be who He is recreating me to be.

Her.

7 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is beautiful Kay...a wonderful inspiration.

Beckypdj said...

Our church has grabbed onto a word from the Lord, "You will not recognize yourself in a year" This word was spoken almost a year ago and I'm telling you, we do not recognize ourselves. The word of God transforms. The people in our church have been transformed. It is amazing!!!

Gberger said...

What a lovely print. It gives a window into who you are, by showing us what you love, and into what you are asking God to do/be within you. God bless your heart and your prayer!

Dawn said...

what a beautiful print... and image to carry in your heart. sometimes i wonder if i can firgure out what i will be when i don't hardly know who i am...

Diana Ferguson said...

A great post!! Thanks so much for sharing it.

Cheryl Barker said...

Wonderful post, Kay. Reading the Bible and prayer -- our means of fellowshipping with Him, of drawing close to Him...

Susan said...

Kay I needed to hear this today.

:-) Susan