Friday, August 28, 2009

queso and peppers

Yesterday was a good day. But you won't believe what happened.

My friend wanted to eat at Chili's. I laughed when she told me that, because that was Bub's favorite place to eat. I told her about when we had five day a week chemo all day long, the nurses would come around and take orders from the kids for what they wanted to eat and they'd order it from the hospital. They didn't order anything for the starving parents by the way... I can't count how many days I didn't eat 'lunch' until 3pm! Anyway... they came to Bub and asked him what he wanted to eat and guess what he said!!!

Chips and queso! LOL

I found it sort of ironic that we ended up there on his birthday. But it gets more ironic as we're seated. The waiter explained the Create a Pepper campaign for St. Judes and asked us if we wanted to color a pepper. I thought that started in September. Freaky!

So I sat there sort of stunned for a second and then told him I'd draw a pepper. He brought one for my friend too. So we both colored peppers. I felt weird doing this with my friend... when this is usually something I do with my hubby every year. In a strange way, it felt very personal doing it with someone else. It wasn't my best work, shall we say.

I almost told him no, but then I knew he would try to sell me on it and since I didn't want to go into it with him, I went on ahead and said yes. He scanned my paper... that included a note in memory of him and said that it was his birthday and I drew balloons and stuff like that... and I think the color drained out of his face a little bit. Sometimes they say something when they see it, but this guy didn't say a word. (don't think he was very socially minded anyway just from the small amount of relating we did with him over our order)

Ya know.. in the end, I was just thinking whatever... let me draw it and move on. My friend moved them aside when we finished and we went on with our lunch. Of course, we had a huge list of things we'd been meaning to talk about... I know that's a shocker... two girls... and we gabbed away and had a nice lunch and a nice day.

3 comments:

Beckypdj said...

Bravo to you, Kay.
That waiter will never forget you. You sowed seeds in his heart that I believe will come into harvest. Maybe he will become more socially minded because of it.

Chilis is one of my favorite places to eat too.(quesadilla explosion salad, yum) As a matter of fact, I'm leaning in that direction for tonight's dinner, and then...........Julie/Julia movie!!

Glad you had a good time!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

That is kinda freaky...and neat too. I love lifes litle conincidences.
Glad you had a nice lunch with your friend...girls gabbing? Never heard of this. :0

Gberger said...

*sigh*
What an awkward moment, but it sounds as if you navigated it with peace and grace. I'm thankful for your honesty, your fatih and your strength.