Friday, August 7, 2009

easy AND yummy...

...my favorite combo in the kitchen!

Yesterday I ran across an idea for chicken in the crock pot and it sounded too easy to pass up.

So I tried it last night. And it didn't disappoint!

As far as I know, it doesn't have a name. So I'll just call it Salsa Chicken. Because it has salsa in it.

Anyhoo...

Salsa Chicken for the crock pot

Put chicken breasts in the crock
Sprinkle them with garlic salt
Pour a generous jar of Pace Thick and Chunky Salsa on top (I was told to use medium heat but since my family's wimpy, I used mild and it had plenty of flavor and just the smallest smidge of heat)
Turn on the crock pot to low and cook for several hours until the chicken is done. (you know your crock pot best, so use your judgment for the exact time it needs)

That's it!

As a serving suggestion, I was told it tasted good over baked potatoes, since it makes a very tasty sauce. And since it's like a zillion degrees outside and I really didn't want to turn on the oven, I got out another crock pot and baked potatoes in that one. And they turned out great. I just cleaned them, dried them off and rubbed them with olive oil and plopped them in there.

We had a salad to go with it. And hello... I didn't have to get a single thing ready at mealtime. Just take off the lids, open the bag of greens and eat. Score!

For more yummy ideas, visit Saturday Stirrings at Fiddledeedee.

5 comments:

Fiddledeedee said...

Oh my, I need TWO crockpot recipes a week because we have late PE classes on Tuesday and Thursday. I'm going to try this.

And pssst, I found the most amazing fresh salsa at Aldi!!! The flavor is "artichokes & garlic" (and it's mild) and the most delicious salsa I've ever had. I will try your recipe with the Aldi salsa.

Thanks!!!!

Beckypdj said...

Sounds good. I use my crockpots alot, so easy and can make some great stuff.

Jeni said...

Sounds really good! My Crock-Pot died recently after ten years of hard use, but when I replace it, I'll give this a try!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I stumbled across your blog today off of a comment you made at Stretch Mark Mama; I want to first say that you and I have angels in heaven waiting on us when we get there! Bless you for sharing your experience of losing a child. I had a stillborn, Jane, and shared my story on my blog--you can find her under "Labels."

And now the Crock pot salsa chicken idea: Fantastic! I love crock pot meals and my husband pours Pace Hot on everything...so this is right up our alley! Gonna try it...

Cheryl Barker said...

Kay, my favorite combo is easy and yummy, too. This sounds super simple, and that's right up my alley. (Didn't know you could do baked potatoes in a crock pot!)

Have a great weekend!