Thursday, April 1, 2010

A short story about a broken foot.

I wrote in the Random Dozen yesterday that I broke my foot several years ago. And since several of you one of you wanted to know about that..here’s the story.

Several years ago, on Good Friday, which was also spring break, the girl and I were going to run some errands. One of them was to get cat food. It’s a prescription.. so I have to buy it at the vets. But I will tell you, she doesn’t have many hairball problems and her urinary tract is a delight.. so I guess it’s worth it. ; )

But on the particular day, as we were leaving, we had to walk across this driveway and then down a step. I totally missed the step and just kind of sat down. In EXCRUCIATING foot pain. Like..I thought I was gonna throw up, kinda pain. Her eyes were as big as ping pong balls as she watched me tell her I was fine, and then cry like a baby. Yeah.. I’m great in labor.  Even as I sat there retching and bawling, I was counting ‘six weeks from now’ in my head. I felt BAD.

We didn’t think it was broken at first (per a medical opinion), but it never healed. Finally right about the time school was letting out for the summer, I had a CT that showed it was indeed broken. I got my cast the day before the last day of school and spent the summer in a cast. Let that one sink in.. I spent the hot Texas summer in a cast.  And I didn’t wear it for the usual six weeks.

I wore it for EIGHT weeks. In the Texas summer heat.

And another thing about that cast…I was hoping for hot pink, since I think that’s kinda cool and sassy, but they only had white. I’m still bitter about that! 

And y’all, I ain’t crutches material!  They actually scared me to death every time I had to use them. I could just imagine myself falling flat on my rump or my face. Thankfully my podiatrist told me about a place I could rent a scooter. Not a Hoveround kinda scooter, but more like a backward tricycle. I could so mow you down in Target! Just sayin’.

I have never had a broken bone, so I didn’t really understand all that entails. But basic things like oh say.. taking a bath, were downright torture. I sent hubs on a mission to Target to buy me an electric razor that day!

That scooter is the only thing that got me through, lemme tell ya. 

Got my cast off in late summer. I’m not even going to ‘go there’ with how awful that leg/foot looks when it comes out of a cast. *shudder* I will say that I hopped up on the bathroom counter and gave that leg a good scrubbing as soon as I got home from the podiatrist that day! Started therapy (in a boot) and finished that in hmm October maybe.. the week before a field trip with hiking and walking. A field trip that I was going to chaperone. Yeah. But by then, I had finished PT and some core training and had some new shoes for my ‘new’ foot and actually did really good on that trip.

So I don’t wear flip flops any more. *sad face* I’m sorry but ugly Birkenstocks are NOT as pretty as cute little flip flops.  But I am thinking about trying flip flops again. After all, I’ve never missed a step, before or since. Hmm.. Should I get a cute new pair for the summer? Yay or nay?  What do you think, girls?

3 comments:

Gberger said...

WOW! I think I'd have made the same decision, after all of that trouble. So sorry you had to go through all of that, and in the summer heat!

Birks have made some sassy new styles...red patent-leather sandals and so on. Maybe a compromise?

Cheryl Barker said...

I think a girl's gotta have flip-flops. I've got mine on now. I say go for it! :)

Hope you have a wonderful Easter!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Wowza. I will never ever look at my flip flops the same way.
But, hey, I missed a step yesterday in my flip flops, and it scared me a bit...maybe mine are magic though, since I did not hurt myself? :0
You poor thing. I see why you have bad memories of this. I have not broke a bone yet (except for my nose) I can imagine this was tough....that scooter gives me the shivers. I will be more careful now where I walk.
Thank you for sharing Kay.
I am glad you survived this.