This has been an odd summer. Sometimes I can't grasp all the things that have happened. I still forget at times.
Being the one in charge of everything has meant that I've had to assess every single item in my parents house. Even for someone with a pretty simple 'estate', it's still overwhelming.
I've mentioned pictures. There are many other items I'm having to integrate into our lives. From pillowcases (my mother used to embroider the cuffs of those years ago) to little trinkets and larger things like quilts. It's a lot to deal with.
But the weird thing is... I've been working so hard to find a way to bring all these things into my home and our lives. Still working on that to be honest. My wedding dress is in a huge box on the deep freeze and there is paperwork scattered all over the dining table.
It takes time.
But anyway... I ramble.. a lot.. these days. I haven't blogged much because I have a hard time putting together anything cohesive. Can you tell??? But that's ok, I guess. I've been struggling with the stuff. Not the items themselves, but just the fleeting nature of life. Some of these things are much older than I am. And then my parents had them and now I have them. And someday someone else will have them.
When it gets down to it, does it really matter? I will find places for all these things and they'll begin their life as 'mine'. Some things are in plain sight. Other things will be squirreled away in boxes somewhere. And then someday.... ?
It just brings me to realize all the more that stuff doesn't matter. It's just stuff. Yes, I'd be sad if some of my 'stuff' were to disappear or something, but when it's all said and done, we're all going to be separated from our stuff. I guess that's what I'm getting at. When it's over, it's not about what belongs to who or what items I get to live with.
But Who I belong to... and Who Lives in me.... and that is what determines eternity for me and all of us.
Not stuff.
5 comments:
Amen. I've come to realize that there are so many more important things that "stuff," even heirloom stuff. While it may remind us of someone, it's really the impact that person made on our life that is what matters. As I like to say, "it's all going to burn anyway." Plus, if you're like me, you don't have much storage space and have to pick and choose what to put in it: practical things or sentimental things. Nonetheless, I guess it doesn't hurt to hold on to a few tangible reminders of those we loved, if we can.
Sometimes a good ramble is all it takes to collect one's thoughts. Besides, what the Lord is teaching you in the ramble is often the very thing He's teaching another. We find commonality and joy in sharing what is stirring our souls.
Be blessed. It's always good to hear from you!
Kathleen
Because Peyton was our only child, it was difficult thinking about who was going to want his "stuff", or for that matter who was going to get our "stuff" when we were gone. Then I realized, the "stuff" only matters now. When we are gone we will be with the King of kings and our son. It took awhile for that to sink in my human thought process, but it has. I was blogging about going through Peyton's things and how hard it was, a friend made a comment about how these things could be a reminder of how he is in my "Heavenly future". What a great perspective.
It will be good to be able to incorporate your parents things into your life and let them remind you of your "Heavenly future".
Hugs to you.
You are so right on this Kay. It is just stuff. We all have it. Not so important in the long run though...good luck with all your stuff and you know what is important!!!
This is just like an old skit George Carlin did on his 'stuff', but of course he added many colorful words to his skit about stuff. :)
take care, suz
maybe you think you can't put together two thoughts... but i think you are doing a-ok. it takes time... as you know. and as long as you are sittin' with God on your side, you'll get there. sending a prayer your way today...
Post a Comment