Tuesday, July 14, 2009

closing out and integrating

I guess you could call this post a little of this and a little of that.

Because that's what you're going to get!

Since before we went on vacation, life has been a whirlwind of activity. And then within days of returning from vacation, my dad went into the hospital and died a few days later.

So yeah... life has been overwhelming.

I also ended up in a time of physical and mental exhaustion. I had made so many decisions in such a short amount of time. Very difficult time. And then pushing my body physically day in and day out to get everything done for my dad while he was alive and then for him after he died.

And then after. I guess that's where I am now. The aftermath.

His house has been sorted through and pretty much closed out, which was a huge job. But it felt so good to be finished with that.

And then there were the pictures. Hundreds of pictures. That's what I'm working on now. They've been sorted and I have a stack of old black and whites to have reproductions made of. I have a box of very old pictures and I'm sure no one will know who those people are. Many were classmates of one of my parents, but there are a few of family too. Sigh.

For about two weeks the stuff was all over my living room and we could barely walk through it. I was turning into a nervous wreck because of it. So I moved the last of the boxes to the entryway until I can get it all dealt with. I've never been so happy to vacuum in my whole life!

Note to the family historians: WRITE ON THE BACKS OF THE PHOTOS SO LATER GENERATIONS WILL KNOW WHO THESE PEOPLE ARE/WHERE THIS PHOTO WAS TAKEN. That is all.

I also brought home a lot of glassware. I'm working on finding places to keep all of that.

And cleaning out my closet to make room for everything I'm trying to integrate into our lives.

Whew. I'm tired.

6 comments:

Beckypdj said...

Kay, I know it is hard when there is so much to do, but try and take care of yourself too.

As for the reprints and the pictures, I have scanned a lot of pictures onto my computer. I then download them to "snapfish". This is a website where I can keep my pictures for free. There are several of these types of sites, I think even Wal-Mart does it. You then can have as many prints made as you need. You can have them delivered or pick them up at a local location. You may have already know about this stuff, but I thought I would share in case you didn't.

It will feel good to get it all done, but like I said before take care of yourself.

Dawn said...

hope you are taking just a few minutes to breathe... the afermath seems like a very overwhelming place to be... even if you are starting on an upswing. it sounds like you have managed to accomplish quite a few big tasks. hang in there... saying a prayer for you today... for your heart to rest a bit...

Busy Bee Suz said...

I like your note about writing on the back of pictures, that makes so much sense!
So sorry you have been going through so much stuff...it is hard when one passes away and others have a load to carry...but such is life right?
Glad you can keep some of your Dad's stuff in your home though, that is special.
You were happy to vacuum??? Heavens NO!!! :)

Pam said...

Hey Becky... on the snapfish thing.. I have many odd sizes from tiny 'old' things to more current 4 by 6 prints. Can they do the weird old things too? I will think about that. I've used EZ Prints for making digital prints and have an acct already. Might try that one and see what they say too!

Thanks for the info!

Beckypdj said...

A few months after Peyton had been gone, I scanned pictures of him and his cousins and uploaded them to Snapfish. They were of various sizes, but not old. I then had them make a book out of them and had copies made for everyone that was in the pictures. This helped me feel better. I knew even though they were kids they would have pictures to remember Peyton by. It wasn't very expensive, it all depends on how many pages and the size of the book. I think it was $25 for the first book and 1/2 price for each additional copy. Snapfish does all that photo memory stuff, mugs, calendars etc. I have a mouse pad with Peyton's picture on it in my office. :)

Have a good day.

Gberger said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. This work sounds exhausting on so many levels...the grief, the physical work, the mental work. I hope you are taking rests and taking care of yourself.
As to the photos, I totally agree; we need to write on the back of them! I wish everyone did that, including me.
Blessings to you as you walk through these days.