There wasn't much going on yesterday, so the girl and I decided to go shopping. But since I'm not a huge fan of "the mall" and all the stuff, we decided to check out an antique store I haven't been to in years.
What fun we had!
It was interesting for both of us. I saw water pitchers like the ones my great aunt used in her old-timey refrigerator. There are always those little insulators that used to be on light poles. Usually they're blue. More than one hoosier. I explained to Miss Boo that 'that' was the only counter top my grandmother had. It's hard to imagine all the delicious meals she prepared on that tiny counter space.
We saw an old washing machine. There is a place to attach the garden hose at the back. My grandparents used to have one of those. I remember when my mom was finally able to talk them into buying a new washer and dryer. They didn't think they needed a new one. I remember spending one week each summer at their house. I was so excited when they washed clothes while I visited. To me it was interesting and exciting. It took most of the day. And it was hard work. But ya know, they didn't mind doing it. As we stood there looking at that washer, it took me back to being a little girl and watching the clothes being pushed through the ringer and coming out flat. And then shaking them out to hang on the line. And then finally sprinkling them with water to iron them. Now we're all about wash and wear. I hardly ever drag out my ironing board at all. And spending two minutes loading and pushing start isn't really that hard.
When I'd spend a week with my grandparents, we did our work in the mornings and then played games in the afternoon. Sometimes we'd play dominoes and other times we'd play Flinch. It's a very old card game. I bought a new one a while back, but it didn't come with a little red rack that holds the five card hands at the ready. And just stacking them up criss-cross doesn't work very well for slick cards. I was excited yesterday when I saw a box of Flinch cards exactly like the one my grandmother had. I couldn't wait to open it to see if it included the little red rack. It did! So I bought that.
And Miss Boo and I spent the afternoon playing dominoes and Flinch.
And I spent the day taking a stroll through my past.
7 comments:
How fun!! Were those water pitchers plastic with a solid colored bottom and a white top with faint speckles? My grandma had one of those along with bowls & cups. I have bought a few pieces from ebay and put them on display in my kitchen along with my grandmothers.
My favorite game with my grandpa was Chinese checkers. The "chore" I loved was shelling purple hull peas or snapping green beans, getting them ready for canning.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
This sounds like a great day...walking down memory lane and taking your daughter there with you.
I also have some great memories of my time with my grandparents.
I played Flinch growing up too. I've never seen one of those "Hoosiers." I would have a hard time working on that little counter space! ( :
That's a wonderful story of a day well spent. I'm so glad that you got to share your memories with your daughter, and that you found one of your favorite family games! So much better than TV.
Thank you for your prayers.
I'm stealing this idea for a blog post, hope you don't mind.
sounds like a wonderful trip down memory lane- and how fun that your daughter was into it!
I love love love strolling through antique stores. Sometimes it kind of rocks my world to see that some of the of the stuff they are passing off as antique are things that *I* grew up with in the 60s and 70s.
Post a Comment