But the the trouble started creeping back. My allergist told me if I started feeling like things weren't going well, to call because he wanted to listen to me when it was really bad. So I called. And he listened. And he backed away from listening to MY THROAT and exclaimed that he thought he figured out the real source of my problem. My vocal cords. I was all do what??? Vocal cord dysfunction...or VCD as it's called for short.
So he sent me to speech therapy which I visited last week for the first time. One of the first things she told me was that I was "lucky" enough to have found a dr that even knows what this is! And for only the second time during all of this, I have felt a ray of hope that I can be helped. You see...my vocal cords are shutting instead of opening when I breathe. And because of all of that, my body is doing some strange things. Like using my shoulders and my chest muscles (that's a funny one) to breathe instead of my belly. So unless I am lying down, my belly muscles don't do any of the work of breathing. Its exhausting. And I constantly feel short of breath. Every once in a great while, I feel like I got a good breath with much stretching and contorting.
I am leaving out plenty in this story. Stuff like going to the ER with this and being told at one point by a nurse at my gp's office "so what if I give you the results of your xray today or not, you still won't be able to breathe" after listening to me beg (!!!) to hear my xray result on the same day it was done. And being discouraged from visiting the ER by another nurse at my gp. Mind you neither of these people are even remotely thinking about the fact that I am gasping for air. And neither had a clue what was wrong with me. (jerks) And it had been for a time by then.
So yes, it's been a very slow journey. I learned exercises for my shoulders and neck first and now some breathing exercises. She said it takes a minimum of a month to figure this all out and get relief. I am exhausted and at the end of my breathing rope. This has been and continues to be an incredibly difficult journey. Please pray for me. I appreciate it.
I am leaving out plenty in this story. Stuff like going to the ER with this and being told at one point by a nurse at my gp's office "so what if I give you the results of your xray today or not, you still won't be able to breathe" after listening to me beg (!!!) to hear my xray result on the same day it was done. And being discouraged from visiting the ER by another nurse at my gp. Mind you neither of these people are even remotely thinking about the fact that I am gasping for air. And neither had a clue what was wrong with me. (jerks) And it had been for a time by then.
So yes, it's been a very slow journey. I learned exercises for my shoulders and neck first and now some breathing exercises. She said it takes a minimum of a month to figure this all out and get relief. I am exhausted and at the end of my breathing rope. This has been and continues to be an incredibly difficult journey. Please pray for me. I appreciate it.
5 comments:
That sounds horrible! But at least you have an answer and can hopefully learn the new breathing techniques. Praying for you!
Oh my gosh! I've never heard of this before. I'm so sorry it took so much work/energy/health for you to get the answer to your issue. Praying that you find the relief you need soon. I just can't imagine…..
xoxoxo
Kay, so sorry to hear you've been having such a difficult time. But what a blessing to learn what was wrong and be able to start taking steps to deal with it. Praying for you now. All the best!
I'm joining your other friends in praying for you. Breathing issues can feel very scary. So is it not asthma after all, but VCD, or VCD combined with asthma?
So many "care providers" do not do very well at providing CARE. They seem to focus only on the technical, body-part care, and are in ignorance of the WHOLE person.
{In case it makes you feel any better, there are a bunch of us in the "club" to which you and I belong who suffer from PTSD pretty much any time we have to see a doctor. I have taken to telling them that I have PTSD outright, and even after that, some simply do not know what to do with the info. I have a strong desire to work on creating an educational program for them in compassionate care!} Sending HUGS to you.
First of all, I'm so thankful that you found a doctor that knew what was wrong with you, especially with something as uncommon as this is. Secondly, I pray that you continue to get better and that the breathing/tiredness issues begin to resolve soon. Sending many((hugs)), good thoughts and prayers from Alabama!
Post a Comment