I went to speech therapy today. And the biggest take away from today was DON'T CLEAR YOUR THROAT. When I do that, my VC bang into one another. And I do it the whole stinkin' day long. Don't be me. lol
So she got me a small bottle of water to swallow I sip with all the gunk...instead of clearing my throat. Helps. Some. I think clearing my throat is a habit just because I have a lot of gunk from allergies.
We walked around a little bit and did some 'rescue breathing'..this time one sniff in and three pursed exhales, lather rinse repeat. Helps. And she let me feel around her middle to see what proper breathing is supposed to feel like so I can feel it on me too. Yes we probably looked like a weird pair walking around outside holding each other around the middle, but at this point, who cares. LOL
And she showed me how to feel the anatomy of my throat and do some different massage techniques at different points. Interesting..again...more than I ever wanted to know about my throat. lol
But she feels like I am making progress. Slowly. But I'm getting there. She is encouraged by where I am today. And that encouraged me.
She did tell me she is going to amend my care plan to include two more sessions just to get me more comfortable and get me across the finish line.
I adore my therapist. : )
PS..when I spelled "swallow" up there, I accidentally spelled it "swaller" which was immediately followed by a 'you might be a redneck' joke inside my head. ; )
2 comments:
Sometimes I can't help but swaller all the junk too. :)
I'm glad you are working with a great therapist….surely that makes all the uncomfortableness easier!!!
*suz, not clearing her throat*
Is it "Swaller" and holler, too? ;)
I'm so glad that you are getting help from a skilled, understanding and supportive therapist. You are worth it! And think how much better the rest of your life will be, now that you have these skills in self-care. We can all learn from your example of being persistent and open-minded.
Post a Comment