Sunday, October 13, 2013

some stress

Last week was a super stressful week. Last weekend, I had been noticing that the cat wasn’t eating very well. Monday I took her to the vet. She did blood work on her and I got the results Tuesday.

She’s in kidney failure. Y’all, I cried and cried. I know she’s a pistol, but I love her, as crazy as that sounds.

So we were in and out of the clinic last week giving her fluids and some new meds and foods and we’re hoping she turns a corner. It’s possible she can sort of snap out of this and have some good months and be maintained for a time. We even learned how to give her fluids here at home after getting a couple of lessons from the vet’s office. Yesterday I’m thankful to say, we were able to do it here at home instead of having to load her up and take her somewhere. Hoping we are successful again today.

Been private messaging my cousin (who is an emergency vet, but not AB’s vet) to get advice over the weekend as we keep watching her. She got a push of antibiotics in her fluids on Friday and she’s hardly eaten since. Ugh. Not sure if it’s the antibiotics or something else, but her not eating is worrisome.

We will recheck her levels in another week or so after (hopefully) doing fluids every day and see where things are. We are hoping she’s bounced back a bit and her kidneys start doing better, which is possible. If they aren’t, then we will be having to explore…ya know. And that makes all of us very sad to think about.

And Wednesday I had an onc appointment right in the smack middle of everything else. I had to have a bone density test before my appointment. And I found out Wednesday that I am in the beginning stages of osteoporosis…fancy word for it is something like osteopenia or something like that. So I will be having to order something called Grow Bone from Amazon which is cheapest, because it’s pretty expensive stuff. And take it for a year. Sigh….

I just gave the kitty some wet food, which she usually doesn’t really care for…and she’s been in there licking at it, so I hope she’s making a bit of a dent in it. Unfortunately it doesn’t have any of her “sprinkles” (meds we now have to add to her food because of her kidneys) because she won’t eat the wet food WITH sprinkles. Bleh…it’s never easy.

Hoping things turn around for our kitty. We are all pretty sad right now.

100_0949

Both these girls have aged a bit since this was taken, but it’s still one of my favorite pics of them together. : )

4 comments:

Wade's World said...

((Hugs)) from Alabama on all regards. Hopefully things will look up soon!

Busy Bee Suz said...

That is too much stress for you and your peeps. So sorry about the kitty. My beloved kitty Junior went into Kidney failure; he actually lived quite a long time after diagnosis. I'm sure you guys are doing the best you can for her.
Sorry about your bone density results....better to find it this early though. Right???
XOXOXO

Cheryl Barker said...

Sorry to hear about your cat, Kay. Hope things go as well for her as possible. Take care!

Gberger said...

Oh, how worrying. I'm so sorry that kitty is having trouble, and I hope that she is able to eat and take her meds soon.
May your own health be strong and stronger, Kay. Hugs to you.