Wednesday, January 18, 2012

a new twist on breakfast

I like to eat breakfast, but I am ashamed to say that it used to consist of either toast (with jelly) or something like Cheerios.

Since this new turn of events in my life, I’ve been changing just about everything about how I eat. One of those changes was my morning meal.

I started eating oatmeal. And not the stuff in the packets either! I must admit I just buy “old fashioned” oatmeal…I haven’t graduated up to the steel cut stuff…yet! Baby steps.

I have never liked oatmeal much, but I knew it was super healthy for me. And when I had company for a week that cooked it for me…in a different way every day…I began to see oatmeal in a new light…as a blank canvas.

So these days, I am likely to eat apple cinnamon, almond coconut, or banana oatmeal. And they are all YUMMY. : )

My basic oatmeal “recipe” for my one serving is 1/3 cup of oatmeal and 2/3 cup almond milk (I get the unsweetened kind), a little drizzle of honey, a few shakes of stevia and a teaspoon full of (refined…meaning unflavored) coconut oil. Bring to a bubble and cook to desired doneness.

But to that, I add the goodies…a little bit of applesauce and some cinnamon with a splash of vanilla. Or about a half of the smallest baby food jar size of banana and some vanilla. Or non-refined coconut oil (meaning it tastes like coconuts…unlike refined oil) and some almond extract.

Sometimes I put some flax seeds in the mini blender with a spice grinding blade and make some powdered flax to sprinkle on top.

It’s very yummy and it fills me up much better than toast of cereal. As a matter of fact, I don’t even miss it. And THAT is saying something. : )

5 comments:

Gberger said...

If you can buy Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats, you will be a "convert." We love all of Bob's products (they have a great website) and their oatmeal, eaten with pure maple syrup, is one of our favorite cold-weather breakfasts!

Gberger said...

P.S. Amy's New Nostalgia blog shows how to make oatmeal ahead of time and freeze it into muffin-sized "pucks" (her term) for easy morning meals!

Busy Bee Suz said...

YOUR oatmeal really sounds delish.....and to find something that fills you (or me) up for a while is amazing.
After breakfast, i am usually looking for a snack within 35 minutes!
xo

~C~ said...

I just caught up on your blog. I hadn't read it in a while obviously since I just read about your cancer. My Mother was diagnosed with breast cancer back in July and had surgery that removed the better part of one of her breasts in early August. She was fortunate that no chemo was required and only radiation, which was very hard on her. I will be saying prayers for you and your family and hope that any other treatment you have to have goes well.

Jill said...

You're making me want some oatmeal! I like it okay, but with lots of sugar, so I usually opt for grits instead. Maybe I'll try some of your ideas, though. ( :