Friday, January 6, 2012

a night and day difference

Yesterday I went to a new doctor. He’s not mainstream.

I have pretty much decided that I had find something else. My husband and I were not crazy about my onc. I couldn’t stand her or her office. Every time I went in, I left angry and depressed.

The office really felt like death to me.

And she really didn’t treat me like much more than something else to fill in on a chart or graph. To say she wasn’t very personable is putting it mildly.

I was just struggling with what to do.

And then I began reading about what I’ve got…and alternatives. Alternatives that aren’t toxic to me or to my uterus or my liver or anything else. There is so much controversy surrounding tamoxifen right now…and the thought of taking it scared me just as much as the thought of having breast cancer. So I was left in quite a quandary. I had also been reading a lot about diet and one of the big things I have seen everywhere is that sugar feeds it (and more accurately spoken insulin levels…but simple sugars send insulin soaring..so split the hair any way you like). And yet at my onc, they had a bowl of hard candies on the check in desk on the day of my first visit, and then on my second, a nice huge spread of holiday sweets because Christmas was just around the corner. I was livid. Why don’t they just put out poison? It’s quicker and at least the patients would know what they are getting themselves into when they eat it.

So I was struggling with what to do next. I had been reading a book by Suzanne Somers and many of the things rang true for me. So I began researching the names of doctors in the back of the book. And found one in the general area we live in, but still far away. They also have a clinic in LA. When I spoke to the lady in LA, she said that the clinic near me is booked a year out. A year! And then she told me about a doctor they refer to…that is about ten miles from my house. (!!!) Give or take a mile. So he is the one I saw yesterday. An integrative doctor. I have never ventured far outside the mainstream so this is a switch for me. In the process of actually listening to me and discussing my problem and viable solutions, he told me that he knows of one onc that they ‘work with’ that is open to using the west and the east to keep my disease at bay.

It was the first time I have felt any sense of caring or well being from the medical community since I visited my onc for the first time.

I visit him next week. He works in a conventional practice..another location owned by the same practice I previously visited (and hated). But even though he works in a conventional practice he is older and hopefully wiser and can help me find a treatment plan..whether it be something other than the tam…or the tam and other things to support my immune function. But for the first time, I feel better about my options and my future.

Please pray for me and my appointment next week. I am nervous and want it to go well. Also it’s in timbuktoo compared to where I live. Probably an hour drive away..and I’m pretty nervous about that too.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Thank God you're listening to your "knower" - - and very likely God Himself is directing your steps. Given the challenges you face, TLC is indispensable!

Praying you have the wisdom & discernment needed to make the many choices that lay ahead. I'm also praying you have strength, vigor and a straight road to recovery!

God bless you,
Kathleen

Busy Bee Suz said...

Following your intuition is the best thing ever Kay...and leaving a Dr. who you KNEW was not for you is so wise.
I pray this next Dr. guides you in the right direction and you will feel good about those decisions.

On a side note, I've had several people tell me lately to get Suzanne's book on menopause and natural hormone Dr's! (and find the Dr's in her book who she recommends) Who knew Chrissy Snow would be so wise?

Please let me know how this next appt goes. I'll be thinking about you

xoxoxo

Gberger said...

Kay, this is such a positive step. I have been amazed at the difference between ADULT medicine and pediatrics. I sure wish I could have my medical care at Seattle Children's, and most people I know say the same thing! You are taking positive control of your own case, which is wonderful. You are a consumer of healthcare services, and they should fit you! Oh, I am filled with hope at this posting. Hooray for you! God is with you and I know you are listening. He will guide you in Love, every step. HUGS to you!

Dawn said...

i will keep this appt in my prayers! good for you for taking charge. it is "something" you can do, and when you feel helpless, something, anything, is great! and i know we all want you to go somewhere where you are cared for personally... by a doctor who listens. xoxo

Wade's World said...

I am so proud of you for taking charge of your health and doing what feels best for you and your situation. If your old onc. didn't feel right to you then you definitely did the right thing by leaving that practice. I'll be praying that this new doctor is everything you need!