Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year…and all that jazz. : )

Happy new year..and Merry Christmas, for that matter. : )

I got an email from somebody today asking how I was doing and if I’ve blogged, and I just thought I’d update on the ole blog…even though I will send her an email anyway. *smile*

We had a great holiday. We decided to ‘do’ Christmas…the presents etc…the Monday before Christmas. I know that’s kinda early, but it worked for us. And for the girl. She was done with school and it gave her plenty of time to chill and fiddle with her new gadget, an iPod Touch, before it was time to hurry up and hit the books again. (we started again over last weekend…a little earlier than her public school buddies..but it worked for us)

We went to look at lights one night. And visited a local hotel that really does the holiday up big. Ended up not feeling as big this year as in years past, so I didn’t take a single picture. *sad face* But it was nice to get out and we still had a fun day.

At the beginning of December, I didn’t even feel like fluffing the Christmas tree, so we didn’t do one. We did decorate the mantle with garland and a wreath, though. : ) But now, I am feeling a lot more like myself. I have started walking and have been enjoying doing some little jobs around the house that slipped when I had my surgeries.

The girl caught a viral sinus type bug around Christmas time from going to the pediatrician for pink eye. And then ended up giving the cold-like deal to me. It is lingering a little bit for both of us, but I was able to put the humidifier away today. 

Last night I slept in our bed, only to realize by morning that I was really missing my recliner. So it will be back to the chair for me when bedtime rolls around this evening. My body just isn’t ready to lay flat yet.

But…something my body *is* ready for…I got fitted for a bra and prosthetics today. It was actually fun. I know that sounds weird. But I went to a very cute shop in one of the hospitals in the big city near here. And the ladies there are amazing. She made me feel right at ease with the whole process. I didn’t know if I would be in a light hearted mood, or end up in tears. And thankfully it was just a really fun experience. And because of the nature of the whole thing, kind of funny at times. I did my best not to let the “this is awkward” feelings creep in, because it is what it is. And she is there to help me and there isn’t any reason for me to feel weird.

I ended up with some cute little boobs. They had one bra that fit me in white…along with my B girls. But I really prefer beige colored bras, so they were going to order them for me. And believe it or not, the bras were only $30! Bras cost more than that just about everywhere, so to me, $30 felt like a steal. I walked out with two bras on order. But as I was driving home, it hit me that I really need three bras…it’s hard to keep two bras clean, especially when it gets hot. And if I had two beige ones, it wouldn’t be such a big deal to have one white one. So I might call them tomorrow and see if they’ve still got the white one and go back and get it and ‘them’. I didn’t know how it would feel to wear ‘them’, but it didn’t feel that weird at all. Once I had on a bra that fit correctly, it all felt very natural. Weird, isn’t it?! They also come each in their own box, and after washing them at night, I’m supposed to put them back in their contoured form inside the box.

My two cake boxes for my two foobs. Ha!

6 comments:

Gberger said...

You are a trouper, and a wonderful woman. Your strength of character, humor and practicality are clearly standing you in GOOD stead. I hope you are happy with your new "girls" and your lingerie. You deserve the BEST.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm loving this update! well, aside from the pink eye, the virus and the not feeling too Christmassy. :)

I too would be nervous about the bra situation; sounds like you went to the right place and they took good care of you. Hopefully, your experiences in this dept will be positive from here on out. 30 bucks? mine are $42 and don't come with boobs! I want my money back. :) It is nice that the bra makers are not trying to take advantage of cancer survivors.
I always do beige too, you are in good company.

Keep us updated Kay, we all love hearing from you!
xoxoxo

Jill said...

It was great to hear from you. I had noticed that you hadn't blogged in a while too. It sounds like your spirits are up and Christmas went well (other than the minor illnesses (which we had too)). I'm so glad!! Happy New Year to you and your family!

Dawn said...

one step at a time... handling just what you can until the next burst of you comes along. and i'm so glad you found some FUN in the task of the day :) continued prayers. much love.

Cheryl Barker said...

Glad to hear your update, Kay. So happy to hear that your shopping experience ended in smiles instead of tears. Something like that could certainly go either way, huh? Hope many blessings are in store for you in this new year!

Smelling Coffee said...

Kay, I enjoyed catching up on all of your posts from Dwc through today ( end of Jan). I love the foobs (which my iPad keeps trying to change to fooDs. Haha). Glad you found a new doc & liked him. So proud of you for fighting for what you need. I continue to pray for you...

With love,
Jennifer