We had a great weekend! We found out in a rather round about way that Chris Tomlin (!!!) was going to be in concert close enough for us to drive to see him on a Friday night. (!!!) So we got tickets right away when we figured it out. Squeeee!
I couldn’t wait. The only things that caused a little dread were an unknown opening band and the heat. This was an outdoor venue. In the Texas heat and one of the hottest days to date this summer. (This week will be hotter, by the way.)
Anyway…we arrived and found our seats just as the first band was being introduced. Tenth Avenue North.
Did I mention it was hot. Notice the cut offs. Don’t know if they started out that way of if it was an afterthought because of the heat..and those poor guys were playing into the sunset beating down on them.
I may be so behind the times, but I had never heard of this band before. I wanted to like them since they were opening for Chris Tomlin. But that wasn’t really the case. There was so much other noise…drums and bass..that it totally drowned out the vocals except for a couple of lines here or there. Very disappointing because to me, the thing that makes modern Christian music..or any Christian music for that matter..unique is the lyrics. And if you can’t hear them…??? When he stopped to talk, you could tell he had a heart for God and for others knowing Him, but the music fell short, sadly. I have his cd so I’m hoping the lyrics are there when I can hear them.
Had he just turned down the amps a bit, I know it would have been a whole different story. : (
It worried me that Chris (we’re on a first name basis now. haha) would have his ‘stuff’ turned up too high too, and I just wasn’t sure I would be able to make it through another set of that. It really did cause even my insides to feel like they were moving around. Bleh.
Anyway…he came out!
And yes, I think he’s got a sweat band on his head. Did I mention that it was super hot? : ) He did toss it later in the evening though.
And yes, he was AMAZING. His music was loud enough for a concert, but I could hear everything..all the lyrics..everything! I thought I knew just about every one of his songs, but he sang a couple I had not heard before. And they were amazing too. Cuz I could hear them. : )
I can’t say enough about what a gifted worship leader he is. He’s not ‘just’ an artist standing up there putting on a show. He is truly leading in worship. I truly felt like I had “been to church” as they say…even with all the distractions of being outside and airplanes and other noises. What a blessing and an asset he is to the Christian music community.
An incredible evening…even with the heat. Well worth everything it took to get there! : )
I’ll leave you with a taste of what we heard at the concert…
No more sorrow, no more pain. Such a precious promise!
Happy Monday, my friends!
6 comments:
That had to be awesome. Wonderful music despite the heat.
Outdoor concerts should be banned from May through October anywhere in the heart of the deep South. You are braver than I for even going!
And I'll have to check out more of his music. I've heard of him before, but I don't have any CD's.
How fun for you guys! Sounds like a great HOT night. :)
It makes me sad that you didn't fall in love with 10th ave N. They are such neat guys. And at least on their first album, the lyrics are good stuff. Look up "Hold my heart" on youtube. It ministers to me every time I hear it. You seriously can't go wrong with Chris Tomlin though. So, I'm glad it wasn't a bust for you.
I LOVE Tenth Avenue North! I am sorry the sound wasn't good. But I really LOVE Chris Tomlin! My DS 3 just came back from a youth week in Daytona where he was the worship leader. God is definitely using this man to change the world!
Hugs to you!
:-) Susan
I love it that you're on a first-name basis with Chris :)
Post a Comment