The school year is coming to a close. By this time every year, we’re counting down. And this year is no exception.
But there are new things on the horizon.
After all these years in different schools, we’ve decided to try something completely different.
Online school.
I wouldn’t think much of the idea, but we have some good friends who love it. It takes less time and their son is getting an excellent education. So we’re taking the plunge. And because we’re always trying to stay ahead of things, we’ve already ordered her books etc.
She’s excited and so are we.
And the possibility of taking an off season vacation is just the cherry on top! : )
It’s hard to grasp that she’s well into high school now. We measured her last night and she’s exactly my height! I’m not ‘tall’ by any stretch, but of course it’s a milestone when you pass up a parent. I hope she’s happy with that, because I don’t think she’s going to pass up the hubster. That would be 11 more inches. I really don’t think that’s going to happen.
*******
Yesterday I went out shopping for some things for the girl. She is on a waiting list for summer camp through church. But I need to get everything ready, so that if a spot opens up, I’ll have everything she needs on hand. So I was at Target trying to find her a new bathing suit that covers her belly. (she has a tankini that fits, but it shows a tiny bit of her belly and that isn’t allowed..when you’re so tall and thin it’s getting harder and harder to find a one piece that covers all the territory, if you get my drift) So I was shopping and this lady was there with two young children trying to find a suit for herself. And answering countless questions. And hunting down little kids that want to hide under the racks.
I spent a lot of time just listening and giggling. Her kids were so cute! Finally I just said “enjoy this time, it’s precious”. She smiled and acknowledged what I’d said. We continued to chit chat as we hunted for things and then we both went our separate ways.
*******
Last night, my girl seemed upset when she was getting ready to fall asleep, so I crawled in bed with her, found my spoon’y snuggle spot and let her talk. I couldn’t believe that she was my exact size.. minus the extra..ahem.. fluff. I touched her face and arms and chin and remembered what doesn’t seem like that many days ago, when I could just hold her in my arms and do those things. And yet, here we are.
And there I was looking at her features in the dimly lit shadows the way I’ve done for 15 years remembering the same words…”enjoy this time, it’s precious”.
6 comments:
that last bit... made me cry. and i sure hope that lady in target heard you... really heard you. because when i was that lady, i think i didn't listen.
online school? wow! i hope it goes well for you guys! i would not be good at that... sometimes i feel so sleepy just sitting at my desk in front of the computer. oh! and this is funny! laura fell asleep writing a paper the other day (at home) and when she woke up she had 8 pages of backslashes and a mark on her forehead. i hope you guys have better staying awake skills :)
Every second, no matter the age, is precious. I watched my cousin graduate this weekend and felt a bit nostalgic remembering my own Senior year 10 years ago, and then looked at my almost 10 year old....I'll pause so you can do some quick math. :) I didn't always make good choices for myself. I see my son turning into a young man and then I see my 3 year old learning how to use a potty, it's just insane how fast it goes. There are days when all you want is for the day to move faster and then there are days when you want time to stand still so you can just soak it all in because it's all gone in the blink of an eye.
We're thinking about online or homeschooling for our eldest next year. Are you doing one through the local public school system or is it separate? Just curious. We are in a pretty good district but with budget cuts and teacher furloughs they are going to be cutting all kinds of things in the next few years out of the local schools and there will be at least 32 kids in each class next year, and he'll only be in 5th grade. We want to make sure he gets a good education. Good luck!
Every stage and every day is precious. Online schooling sounds exciting.
You made me cry Kay...but you know that is easy.
I am feeling this twinge of time flying by lately..and you just brought it up again.
I am excited for your new challenge this year with school...I think you will all enjoy it. Oh, the flexibility? Wonderful.
My Lo has passed me up in height, but will not catch up to my FLUFF.
:)
Have a great day!
Suz
I'll try to remember your words of wisdom about enjoying them while they're young. ( :
I haven't heard of online school for high school. Maybe it's something we'll consider. We're already trying to figure out our best options for education, even though that's a ways down the road.
You are so right.
I hope the classes are fun for all of you!
Post a Comment