Monday, December 29, 2008

it sounded like a good idea at the time

Every year for Christmas, Boo gets some cash. And now that she's old enough to decide for herself what she would like, she gets to make some of these bigger spending decisions for herself. With a little guidance, of course. Anyway... she's been talking about wanting lime green walls for a while now. I kept hoping thinking it would pass, but it never did. And with Christmas, she had money burning a hole in her wallet.

I am quite shocked she even wanted her walls to be lime green, since she LOVES pink. When she was 5 we painted her walls pink and she never looked back. She loved it. We loved it. It was perfect. And since pink is STILL her favorite color, I didn't think the lime thing would last.

But alas, it has.

So we made a deal with her. We told her that if she would buy herself some bedding, we would paint the walls. She said that sounded great. And we started hunting for bedding. We found some in two places. One is in hand. Cost a little more than I wanted to pay. Very similar one is on order. Much cheaper and from online reviews, seems to be of pretty decent quality even though it's not very expensive. (IMO, for a kids room, cheaper is always better since they aren't careful and 'live in' their space more than grown ups do)

So anyway.. we headed to Home Depot to look for paint chips. I just knew there would be loads of choices and I'd have to find the 'right' lime looking color. Nope! As it turns out, there were two paint chips that were specifically lime green only. What luck... she says with sarcasm! So we picked the lime-ier one and had some paint mixed. We started painting yesterday afternoon, and anticipated putting one more coat on this morning and being done. Weeeell... I neglected to read the back of the paint chip. Might take multiple coats to cover. Hmmm. Sorry I skipped that part! So here we are. Two coats down. And one more to go. Hopefully, just one!

I'm skeert. It's a pretty blinding color! But I think when all her pink stuff comes back in and her bedding arrives (and works and I can take the more expensive stuff back!), it will be really cute.

I hope! (she types with lime green paint under her nails!)

1 comment:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Thanks for your fun comment on my site this morning! I think you will be pleasantly surprised once you get her things moved in, like you said. I can never figure out why it takes more coats of dark colors than light. We have a bunch of cranberry colored walls that were a nightmare. You should post pics when you're all done. One thing I've observed in my blogging experience is that people love to look at decorating. Happy New Year!