Christmas is upon us.. and so is the food that goes along with it. I'm not the baker/candy maker that my Mamaw was. That kinda gives me the grins to say her name, as she's been gone from us since I was in high school. I was talking to somebody today about Christmas candy and I remembered Mamaw making fudge and divinity every year. She kept a metal tin that would appear in one of the spare bedrooms every year.. and I'd dig in and snatch myself some goodies. I'm sorry but I don't have a fudge or a divinity recipe. I couldn't make either one of those if my life depended on it. I *am* thinking about trying out a divinity recipe possibly though. I've just got to find one first. And order a new whisk for my stand mixer. Anyhoo...
..in the meantime, I can always make some yummy quick bread. And my favorite is:
Cranberry Pumpkin Bread
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce 16 ounce
1 can solid pack pumpkin 15 ounce
3/4 cup chopped pecans.. at our house, nuts are always optional. I leave them out myself.
2/3 cups oil
4 eggs (I've used Egg Beaters and it turns out fine)
Glaze ingredients:
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate - not diluted
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. In another bowl, combine the cranberry sauce, pumpkin, pecans, oil and eggs. Stir into dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Pour into two greased 9 inch by 5 inch by 3 inch loaf pans.
5. Bake for 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool for ten minutes; remove from pans to a wire racak to cool completely.
7. Combine glaze ingredients (conf. sugar, orange juice concentrate, and allspice); drizzle over cooled loaves.
This bread is delicious! It's super moist. It even freezes well. I slice it when it cools and put it in a big zip top freezer bag and just pop off a piece when I want one. It reheats well in the microwave. Soo good! For other yummy Christmas treats, hop on over to visit Donna at Way More Homemade!
4 comments:
While this sounds really yummy (I am a fan of the cranberry!) I won't be able to try it :-( We can't get cranberries in any shape or size here. I got pretty excited when there was cranberry sauce at the Thanksgiving meal we shared with other missionaries in Buenos Aires but found out one of them had carried it back in her suitcase the last time she returned from the U.S.
BUT I am sure others will be able to enjoy it. Thanks for sharing!
That sounds delicious! I may have to try it. ( :
Cranberry & Pumpkin. Sounds wonderful to take two holiday tastes and put them together.
Have you looked at recipe websites online (like www.allrecipes.com or www.elise.com/recipes)? You might find one that you like for Divinity or Fudge. I found a good one for Pumpkin bread (yours sounds great, too)!
Post a Comment