My daughter has a debate today. Can you believe it?! I don't think she even knew what a debate was before this assignment rolled around. And it's not just for the sake of debating. It's her semester final! Um.. yeah. She's confident in the info she knows, but a little freaked out at the thought of standing up in front of 'evvvverybody' and talking about her stuff.
I don't blame her. I would have thrown up if I had to get in front of people and talk at her age. Shoot, I would probably be sick to my stomach NOW if I had to do that. I've reminded her that she's prepared. She knows that. She's confident in what she's wearing today as they had to 'dress up'. Her primped and flattened hair is very pretty. She cracks me up. She wears her hair in a ponytail every single day. So today she decided to wear it 'down' and was just marveling at how pretty her hair looks. I was telling her she could see her hair more often if she'd leave it down every once in a while. (the hairdresser raves about her hair and tells her ladies pay big bucks to have the perfectly colored hair she was gifted with... blonde with auburn and brown highlights) But having said that, I'm thankful she doesn't care that much....that she's not one of those girls that spends forever in front of the mirror worrying about every little detail. Just slappin' it into a ponytail is much healthier, in my opinion.
I also reminded her that her team's debate only lasts nine minutes and it will be over. And then she can watch everybody else instead. Just today and tomorrow and then she's out for the break. We can't wait!
She wore a ponytail thing on her wrist though, just in case.
4 comments:
I don't know about your house, but at mine, the art of the debate was finely honed throughout the years the children were growing up. It sometimes looked/sounded like an argument, but most often it was one or the other of us (kids vs parents) lobbying for one thing or another. Methinks your daughter will do exceedingly well, beyond what she could imagine.
Be blessed,
Kathleen
I was scared to death to get up in front of people when I was a teen, but I've mostly outgrown it. Now I lead Bible study and Weight Watchers groups. Every time she does it, it will probably get easier.
Yes, speaking in front of others makes me want to hurl. THe mere THOUGHT of it makes my head spin. Why are we like that as humans???
KEEP BELIEVING
Thanks for delurking and commenting on my blog. I love to meet new bloggers. :)
I also hated getting up and speaking. I love to talk but that's a whole other subject. Hope it went well for her.
Post a Comment