Sunday, August 24, 2014

Sauna time

It's summer. It's hot. It's like a sauna.

Not really. Because I know what I sauna is like. Because I just got one. : )

Yes..really! 

It's not what you think though. It's not the multi-levels of wooden seating wrapped in a towel a la tv. Although those do exist. It's more of a wooden frame with reflective walls and lights for the heat. Kinda like the ones at McDonalds to keep the food warm. I'm not kidding. It's called near infrared. It has six bulbs that shine on the lone occupant of the sauna..me. : ) But the walls reflect light all over. So not only is there benefit from the heat generated by the bulbs themselves, there is actual benefit from the light. It is low EMF, which is a good thing. But it penetrates the skin and that is an added benefit. Another benefit to near infrared vs the conventional way, is that the temperatures are greatly reduced...like from 150 to 175 (or higher) to around the 100 to 120 range. With the same plus added benefits. 

I have known that saunas are a good thing for a while because like most people know, you sweat in it. And that releases toxins from the body. Which is good. Of course. But after I got sick, I began to realize that detox in the tip of the sauna iceberg, so to speak.

Not only do they release toxins, they heat the body a few degrees, which actually attacks things like viruses and candida (hello summer problem!) and weakens cancer cells directly, it raises the heart rate, it reduces inflammation which helps with all manner of diseases including arthritis, workout issues and cancer, rejuvenates skin, enhances circulation and aids in weight loss. Those are just some quick things that I remembered from all my reading. There are other benefits as well. 

But I'm sure you can begin to see why it is of particular interest to me. 

It arrived in the mail in kit form around dinner time Friday. (Grr you, UPS. Would have preferred putting it together in the afternoon, rather than into the night Friday night). But we did get it all put together by around 10:30 Friday night.  It took four hours if you include a quick froyo run for the hubs. He deserved a break after all that work. We got it built and turned it on to make sure it worked and went to bed. I got up Saturday morning and had my first sauna session. Feels a little bit like roasting on a spit. The user has to turn every so many minutes. I used an old interval app for my timer and I was set to go. I am starting with about 15 minutes total right now, changing every three minutes. Front, side, back, other side, front. I will increase my times as I get more acclimated to this, which shouldn't take very long. I will work up to going all the way around and including the front and back twice and also doing those two stations a minute or so longer than the sides. I did sweat pretty well Saturday, given it was my first time in it.

Later yesterday, I found a nice app that is an interval timer but it allows music to be played at the same time and tried it out this morning. It didn't work out as well as yesterday without it because I had my sounds volume turned down too far and I couldn't hear the turn alerts over the music, so I was in and out of the sauna a few times getting it all worked out. But I think I have all the settings working correctly for this now and tomorrow should run smoother. I was bummed that I didn't sweat today. I was plenty hot but I didn't get sweaty. I guess the in and out of cool air and letting cool air into my little box didn't really help. Boo. 

And unlike being wrapped in a towel (like tv) or wearing a swim suit like one would have to do using a sauna at a fitness center, I have decided just to wear a pony tail holder. ; ) Its easier than dealing with clothes and part of the benefit is the light anyway. And I'm by myself, so why not. I put on one article of clothing that covers me while getting ready and then just shed it and put it under my little stool while I do my time. And when time is up, I can just dry off and put it back on. Works nicely not to have to buy something specific for the purpose. 

So yes, summer is hot. But the sauna is hotter. 

***Should I disclaim? Ok, I will. No, I didn't get this sauna for review. I got it because I bought it myself. And also, I'm not promising this thing will heal everything from your dandruff to your ingrown big toenail. End of the disclaiming. ; ) ***

5 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hi, Kay! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm trying to slowly get back to writing a little bit.

I was so interested to read about the sauna and tattoos. You are such a sweet person. Keep writing. <3

Busy Bee Suz said...

How cool is that?
I mean how HOT IS THAT?? ;)
I had no idea that sauna's provided so many health benefits. Is it different than just getting hot while exercising….or laying in the sun?
I've learned something today and that usually annoys me. LOL!!!

Wade's World said...

Stupid question, but if it is lights, can you get sunburned like a tanning bed? Would sitting outside in the Alabama heat and humidity give me the same detox benefits? I think probably not....

Michael said...

Give it time and you will sweat. It depends a lot on your normal body temp. If it's lower, like 97 or so, it will take longer to sweat. And, you'll also get conditioned to sweating over time so it will come on quicker in the sauna. You could also try preheating the sauna for 20 minutes before going in. I liked reading your post :)

Cheryl Barker said...

Hey Kay, I emailed you but in case you don't check email very often, I thought I'd leave my note here, too. Guess what? You won the “Back At It” Giveaway on my blog! Congrats! I’ll send the B&N gift card to you as soon as you send me your mailing address. Also, I posted the winning news yesterday in my Midweek Morsel post on my website.

When I popped over here the other day to get your email address, I noticed you have me listed under your “I Like to Read” section of your sidebar—thanks! I clicked on the link, and it took me back to my old site, though, so would you do me a favor and change the link to my current link - Thanks!

Hope you’re having a good summer. Sounds like you're having a hot one for sure :)

Enjoy the gift card!
Cheryl