Tuesday, July 17, 2012

reading the book

It’s no secret that I’ve been down in the dumps lately. Not at all.

I know I have so much to be thankful for, and yet my heart aches for reasons unknown to me.

So I did what I have done in years past. I went searching for something to sooth my soul. I found a book that sounds very good. I searched online to see if I could pick it up at my local Christian book store. I wasn’t sure from the website. So I thought perhaps I could call and see if they had it in stock.

I’m all about instant gratification, so things like this, even though petty, really bug me.

But before I could pick up the phone or whip out my credit card, something stopped me.

I didn’t need another book to read.

I already have a Book to read.

And the one who wrote it thinks I am precious and had me on His heart when He penned it.

What better Book for me to read when my heart is crying out for something.

Something that only He can fill.

Disclaimer…I don’t have a problem with books. I love books and know they can be very helpful in our walk with God. But for me, for this moment, another book isn’t what I need. I need Him.

7 comments:

Gberger said...

Dear Kay, I am so grateful that He spoke to your heart about His love letter to you (the Book). But I know what you mean about looking for something fresh to renew your journey. His grace is sufficient, and so is His Book, but I do want to ask if have you ever read anything by Beth Moore? Her book, "Believing God," really recharged my prayer/faith life this spring. I loved it!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love you and your honesty!!!
xo

Rebekah said...

Yes and amen.

Cheryl Barker said...

Oh, Kay, you are so right. When our hearts need soothing, there is no better to book to turn to than the Word of God. Beautiful, beautiful post. I pray that He will minister to you through His Word!

Jill said...

I'm sorry you've been "down in the dumps." Reading the Psalms always helps me in those situations; it turns my focus toward God and away from myself and my problems.

Smelling Coffee said...

Hi Kay. I'm catching up with you & praying for you right now. I pray that God gives you joy from His Word as you press forward.

With love,
Jennifer

Kathleen said...

Seasons of gray can be so challenging! Throughout my 64+ years I've had highs & lows. Rarely are they extreme, but when the blues & blahs set in I am never smitten with them.

We are in good company, my friend. Many of our biblical heroes had down days, as did C.S. Lewis, Spurgeon. Oswald Chambers & other notables. In fact, I must wonder if that's why Jesus Himself spent so much time alone with His Father?

Huge hug,
Kathleen