Tuesday, May 1, 2012

health vs taste

Back in the day when I made soup. it had chicken, carrots and potato. Along with canned tomato and flavorings etc.

Now, when I make chicken and veggie soup, it has chicken, carrots, zucchini squash, cabbage (and anything else I can think of at the time that’s not nutritionally vacant),  tomato,  tomato sauce and chicken broth. *And as many of these in organic form as possible.* But notice that the potato made an exit from the list. Really, it doesn’t offer much nutrition wise and it’s high in carbs. So bu-bye! Instead I add penne pasta from Barilla plus with omegas.

P1040091

I cook the noodles at mealtime, put them in the bottom of the bowl and ladle on the soup on top. It works very well and the noodles don’t get all mushy. And a much better choice than a potato, which I can rarely find organic anyway.

It fills my crock pot. Enough for us and a couple more meals.

P1040092

P1040093

Last week I had left overs and took them to eat with a friend. We both enjoyed the soup, which as always, tasted better the second day. But then my friend confided to me that she doesn’t really care for cabbage.

Shhh…here is a little secret…I’m not a huge fan of cabbage either.

But I’m not eating solely to please my taste buds these days. Nutrition trumps taste EVERY time. And cabbage is crazy healthy. Oh yes…I also put chopped parsley on top after I ladle up my bowl. And here’s another secret…I don’t like parsley that much either.

But it’s super healthy for me, so I eat it.

I have JOKINGLY been labeled the food police. But really, I just feel like a bit of a weirdo because I eat for the health benefit of it, rather than solely for flavor.

If I weren’t sitting where I am now with my health, I would have been in the chorus of people making cute little remarks about healthy eating habits and having a good laugh about it. But to me, right now, it isn’t a laughing matter. And from here on out, it never will be. I HAVE TO eat healthy from now on. Period. My risk does not diminish after five years…it is stretched out over a lifetime. So my ‘new’ eating habits must be a permanent part of my life. Not just for a little while, or on certain days.

I just wish I could go back and talk to my pre-illness self about all of this. It might have made some sort of difference. I might be eating better only because I want to.

Not because I have to.

And that’s sobering food for thought.

4 comments:

Gberger said...

I wish that we had been educated in middle school and high school about nutrition, about finance, about the joys of cooking creatively. I also wish it weren't SO expensive to buy organic, but apparently, if more of us do, the price will drop...and your health is worth it!
I hope that organic will eventually replace genetically modified food and things that we learned to crave (cheetos, etc.) that are BAD for us!
Keep writing and sharing your food journey - you are inspiring us to cook and eat better, too, and your soup looks great!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I actually like cabbage....and your soup sounds so yummy. {and healthy!}
You'd be surprised at how often I think of YOU when I am cooking. Like Karen, I wish I had been more educated about our food choices earlier on....and I also wish I had never ever given my kids anything that was processed....it's a hard habit to break.
xo

Cheryl Barker said...

Sounds like you are learning so much about healthy cooking/eating. I love how soups are usually better the second day, too. Gotta love it when left-overs are a hit! :)

nanette@momneverstops.com said...

I agree with Karen regarding being taught better eating habits. My mom always made sure we had healthy meals but we had to eat everything on our plates. Also, snacks were minimal until we made our own money and would buy all the junk at school. I love soups too!
Also, like cabbage