Monday, May 9, 2011

the best part of picture day

There are so many things I could tell you about going out to take pictures the other day.

I could tell you about learning about being the “trusty assistant”. It was sort of fun learning about using a diffuser to shade her a bit from too much light and lessen the possibility of dark shadows on her face.

I could tell you about just how much fun it was just to be out on such a gorgeous day. Soon enough it will be stifling hot and miserable at 10 am.

But the real thing I wanted to tell you about was the great attitude my girl has about some things. As we were pulling out of the driveway, she was commenting on how “all” the girls at her old school felt the need to slather on a bunch of spackle makeup every day. And how they spent forever in front of the mirror to primp during the school day.

Her comment to me as we were pulling out of the driveway…”I don’t have to put all that makeup on to look pretty”. And ya know what, she’s right! She doesn’t.

She never wears makeup and it doesn’t bother her when she’s around those caked on girls at all. She doesn’t feel the pressure to conform or be like everybody else. And I’m glad.

It reminded me of a day many years ago when I was dating my hubby. He told me that I didn’t need to be wearing makeup to look pretty in his eyes. That statement made me feel like the most beautiful girl in the world.

When the email arrived that I could go and have a look at my girl’s prints, I was so excited. And as you already know, they’re fantastic!

But the neatest thing was when she came through the kitchen and saw herself. “I look pretty!”

Yes you do, my dear.

And now I guess I’m the second prettiest girl in the world. And that’s ok.

Looking forward to the day when she meets her someone special and he tells my fresh-faced girl she’s pretty just the way she is. Because it’s true.

DSC_2652

3 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh Kay, this is such a beautiful and positive post!!! I agree....she is beautiful as the fresh faced young lady she is!!! And she KNOWS IT. BONUS.
Isn't it so funny how ONE little comment from someone special will stay with us forever??? Your hubby is awesome.
Lo hardly ever wears makeup...maybe a bit of eyeliner. She had a prom on Saturday, and I was the one who said: Do you want a little blush? Some gloss??? And really..she did not need it at all. She was fine with her 'natural' face. That is a good thing.
xo

Wade's World said...

The pictures are so good!!! It's amazing that she has such a great and positive self esteem at such a young age. That's such a hard thing to learn, but it really sounds like she has her head screwed on straight. You should be (rightfully) so proud of her!

Gberger said...

I'm with Suz. Your girl is radiant, from the inside out. Good work, Mom! And Happy (belated) Mother's Day!