Thursday, May 12, 2011

ants

Called the bug man earlier this week because we have ants in our kitchen. About once every year or couple of years we get the same type in the same place. He comes. And then it’s over.

Yesterday afternoon the girl was eating a snack in  her room when all of the sudden I heard an AAACK sound coming from her room followed by a lot of spitting PPPHHHTT sounds. Come to find out that little snack she’s been stashing on her desk for a little too long ended up with some little teeny buddies.

Ants. So I called the bug man…again…this morning. After I explained what they look like, he paused and asked me if I kept one. He knows I always keep one if it’s something like ants, because he needs to know exactly what they are before he can treat them. So yes, I saved him some.

He thought for a minute and told me they don’t sound like anything he’s ever seen before. He read that there is a new kind just coming into Texas. So now he’s wondering if we’ve got them. Nice.

Leave it to us to be the first!

I also had to ask if it would hurt if she accidentally ate one. Very harmless. Protein.

Good to know. In case ya know, she ever decides to be on Survivor.

6 comments:

Wade's World said...

At least they're not fire ants! I wouldn't want to cross those!

Gberger said...

I hope he gets rid of those little varmints for you! IF you have the first of the new breed of ants, you will probably make his day.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh my gosh....I would have "acked' too!!!!!
I hope they get rid of them for you....ants are pesky!!!!

Anonymous said...

Here in northwest Indiana the ants come out in early spring every year, in my kitchen, too. I just get those black ant buttons (I forget the brand) and conceal them in various spots. We still see ants for a few days but then they're gone. The poison is taken back to the nest, I guess, but it take awhile.

It happens every year like clockwork. I guess lots of things "wake up" in spring...including ants. :-)

Cheryl Barker said...

We are having trouble with ants this spring, too, but thank goodness they seem to be the regular old variety. Good luck with your out of state invaders! :)

Jill said...

We've had ants this year for the first time. I wonder if it's the new kind you have.