Friday, April 15, 2011

sausage casserole

I used to make this yummy casserole. But the hubs wasn’t completely in love with it so I quit making it.

I also wasn’t too sad that he wasn’t in love with it since the recipe called for a pound of sausage.

Holy heart attack, batman!

So I stopped making it. But I never forgot about it.

I dusted it off the other day to make it for lunch group.

But with one important difference….lean chicken sausage!

We have a great store near us that makes their own sausage with lean chicken breast. And it tastes the same as pork sausage…and it’s not loaded with FAT.

So! If you promise me you will only use this recipe with the leanest possible meat, I will share my recipe with you. Cuz it’s good! (no excuses either..I’ve seen lean turkey sausage at Walmart!)

Pinky swear?

Ok! : )

It’s called Sausage Casserole. And it’s great for any meal from brunch on through dinner.  And the leftovers freeze well too. It’s just a great all around recipe.

Recipe:

  • 1 package sausage
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 green pepper chopped
  • 4 1/2 cups water
  • 2 packages Campbells noodle soup
  • 1/2 cup long grain rice

Preheat oven to 350.

Bring 4 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add the 2 packages of noodle soup and the 1/2 cup rice. Cook/gently boil for 7 minutes uncovered.

Meanwhile, crumble sausage and brown with onion and green pepper until fully cooked.

Mix together in an oblong casserole dish (8 by 11 etc) and bake uncovered for one hour.

P1030683

And then eat it! : )

This is the noodle soup. I don’t buy this sort of thing for anything else and most people get confused about it, so I thought I would show a pic of it. It has two packets inside and you use both in this recipe.

P1030682

There is another brand called Mrs. Grass that I have found at Kroger. It has the noodles and the flavoring separate so you could use both packs of noodles and one packet of flavoring for less sodium, if that is a concern.

This recipe isn’t going to win any culinary awards, but it tastes really, rilly good.

Guess what we’ve having for dinner? : )

5 comments:

Susan said...

My mom used to make this without the onions and green peppers. After I got married I made it a few times and my husband didn't like it - so I haven't made it since but I still crave it! Maybe I will try again with chicken sausage

Busy Bee Suz said...

This looks amazing. I promise to only use lean meat when I assemble this....I usually do that all the time and my peeps don't even know.
I'll let you know how it turns out!
xoxo

HalfCrazy said...

Hey there!

Why could he not be a fan of a casserole that looks so yummy? Forget about the health alert, it's all about eating great food! Okay, I'm like this cos I don't worry about fats or oil or other stuff that is deemed harmful if many servings were digested.

Cheryl Barker said...

Had never heard of sausage made of lean chicken breast. What a good idea to use that as a substitute. You may now consider this an educational blog, Kay -- you educated me! :)

Have a blessed Easter!

Kathleen said...

Oh my ... I'm gonna have to give this one a try!