Friday, December 10, 2010

hearing a carol anew

Ya know how sometimes you listen to a song you’ve heard a hundred times and for some reason something sticks out and it’s like you’ve never heard it before.

Yeah, me too.

I was listening to Christmas music the other day and heard something profound that I have sung more times than I can count.

…peace on earth and mercy mild..

God and sinners reconciled

That last line there just blew me away. It was like the entire gospels…or the entire Bible..encapsulated in one phrase. God and sinners reconciled.

It just made me really contemplate God and just how separated from Him we are apart from His grace and mercy. And re-realize how much we needed Him to send Jesus. We are just so lost in our sin and nothing can make that okay in ourselves. We can’t be better or act better or change or any of those things. God Himself had to reconcile that impossible distance between us.

I’m thankful this Christmas season that God made a way to reconcile sinful people to Himself. I stand in awe of God that he would send Jesus to die for someone as sinful as myself so that vast chasm could be bridged between God and sin. Not just for me, but for all mankind.

3 comments:

Beckypdj said...

Great post Kay. We HAD to have Jesus, no other way to God.

I remember after I became a Christian singing "O Come All Ye Faithful" the part where it says, "O Come Let us Adore Him" took on real meaning for me :)

God loves us so much.

Merry Christmas

Busy Bee Suz said...

I hear you sister. :)
I LOVE this song...makes my heart melt.

Diana Ferguson said...

Love the post, too!!! Have a blessed day Kay!