I watched Marie Osmond the other day on Oprah as she talked about the sudden loss of her son to suicide. I wanted to see what she had to say. I am always interested in how people talk about loss. She talked about her son’s life and some of his struggles. And then she talked about when he died. And how he died. (he jumped from his apartment window)
One thing in particular she mentioned is that it will not “get better”. And she feels better since other people told her the same thing. That made me very sad. It makes life sound hopeless. I know she is Mormon, so she at least gives some sort of nod to some sort of god. But what a sad testament to her “religion”.
It just left me very sad for her and her family.
Because there is hope. The morning does come. I’m not here trying to say that I have everything figured out. Not in the least. But I know there is hope. And life to be had…even after a loss like that. (sudden or prolonged)
I remember the early days after Bub’s diagnosis and many other hard days. I say I remember them and yet I was in a fog and details are sketchy. I know the feeling and the thoughts and the sights and smells often more vividly than details..although I do remember many details I wish I could forget.
Yes, it was horrible…you could even call it a nightmare. But it was also like I was blanketed in something. That something was peace. I know that sounds crazy. And a part of me feels like a fake for saying that, because there were moments that peace was hard to find. Some moments left me struggling with every part of our reality. Those moments were hard, I won’t lie. I would be full of worry and anxiety. And looking around at everything going on filled me with fear.
But then God would draw me back to Himself and I would turn my focus to Him. Not the circumstances. When I focused only on Him and dwelt there, there was peace. And such a beautiful time of growth in Him.
It reminds me of a few sentences I read in Lysa TerKeurst’s book, Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl. It was like putting a huge ah-ha time of my life into words…
Then one day you take off the blanket of deep grief. You fold it neatly and tuck it away. You no longer hate it or resist it. For underneath it wondrous things have happened.
The why questions have been replaced with truths from God's Word. Verses that stung to read at first have now become the very lifeline you cling to. God's presence has fallen softly upon you and helped you see that good can come and will come to you and through you.
.
There are days I still take out that blanket. Some days it is to grieve. Again. But other days…most days… when I take it out, it’s to remember all the things God taught me under it. And be thankful.
6 comments:
I watched it also. She mentioned God , but she also mentioned being on stage is her comfort. I can remember when my younger brother passed away unexpectedly. People would comment about my Mom being so strong. But there is such a peace, you think I should be crying, but then you realize that their much better off where their at.
My Mom said at the funeral she couldn't have made it without God and can't understand how people does that doesn't know Him.
I saw Marie too, and it broke my heart hearing her son's story.
But,how could one NOT have hope for things to get better? That seems like life would just be hopeless then...of course, I have not been through what she (or you) have.
I do like Lysa's words...raw and beautiful.
This is a great post Kay. I hope you are doing well.
xoxox
Suz
Well said, Kay. You've read about my grief journey and I so appreciate your comments. I am coming to a place where I am living with missing Peyton. That seems a strange thing to say unless you've felt it. I have joy, and yet I miss him. I look toward the immediate future with smiles, and yet I miss him. I really look forward to Heaven and I won't have to miss him anymore.
Great post :)
I didn't watch that show, but I see what you mean. Sometimes people say that sort of thing, and I think they are really saying, "I can't have him/her back, and I know that." That's the part that doesn't "get better." But we do learn to live with it, and HOW we learn, and how we live with it, is different for each one. Like you, I am so thankful for God's love and presence, available to each of us! Sending hugs to you.
I have never experienced grief like you describe, but I have often wondered how people cope with tragedy (whether sudden or prolonged), without having hope and faith. How sad and depressing to have neither in your life.
And Jeremy, being a funeral director, can tell what families have faith in God and what families don't when he is working with them. The difference is night and day in how they respond to tragedy.
Thank you for sharing this...
Love this, Kay. As Christians, even when we grieve deeply, we can grieve with hope and peace (at least we can eventually get there in our journey) -- and with a Comforter who is like no other. Can't imagine facing loss without Him...
Post a Comment