I love quilts. The patterns. Stars, stripes, bear claws, squares, triangles..and a bunch of other shapes I don't know the names of. The colors. Every color in the rainbow. The fabrics. Everything from quilting fabric to well, feed sacks and old clothes, way back when. Quilting has come a long way.
But quilts are intimidating. I always looked at other's creations with all the heart eyes..and a little bit of jealousy if I am just being honest.
I recently noticed that a local sewing machine and quilt shop has beginner quilting classes...what are the odds? LOL So I decided to sign up. I had to wait a couple of weeks from when I signed up to actually go to my class and I was so antsy and excited.
My first class was last Tuesday and my second class was day before yesterday. Next Tuesday is the last class. (we will come on another day to bind our quilt after we complete the quilting on our own).
The teacher is the sweetest and so is her helper. There are six of us in the class and four of us are left handed. I am used to being the minority, so that has been kind of funny.
The project we are all doing is a table runner. A very doable first project with lots of opportunity to learn different blocks and some beginner technique.
My first cuts and pieces. This was created on our first night.

This is the background fabric...it has bluebonnets on it. Those are the state flower of Texas and they have my heart big time.

And this is my almost completed top. I could not believe we made so much progress in two evenings.

I am so proud of it. I hope I don't get stuck and unable to finish. So far it has gone together so well and the teacher is so encouraging that it makes me feel like I really can do it. :)
I knew that week to week I would forget what we learned so I grabbed some fabric at Hobby Lobby to make another one so I could reinforce it all in my mind. I am just as excited about that one as the official class one. And if it actually turns out, it will be a gift so that is fun.
Such pretty colors!

Squares done but I can't remember how to square them up. So I will carry them to class next week and let her show me again. And then I can sew on the sashing. And do whatever else we learn next week.

I don't see me becoming a super fancy quilter but I am excited to perhaps create a few simple projects that are useful and pretty. So fun. Even an old dog like me can maybe learn a new trick. :)
1 comment:
That is SO wonderful. I love that you found a course and you're moving along so nicely. I'm a novice sewer (I can do buttons and minor hems) SO I have quilt envy just looking at your cute runners. Have fun!
Post a Comment