Saturday, May 26, 2018

on contentment

A few years back we thought about selling our house. But we never found something we liked. And then I got sick. So yeah..that was that.

Fast forward some years and we are thinking about it again. We need a little more space. Our daughter, while grown, isn't going anywhere. And we could use a tad more space.

I think about what I want style wise and I get overwhelmed. I look at my own house and begin to dream about all the ways I could change it.

But to what?

I started following a lot of home decor instagrammers. It just kinda happened. I followed Layla at The Lettered Cottage forever as a blogger and then followed her on insta. I guess she was the 'gateway drug' to many more decor accounts. But the funny thing is, their houses are all but identical. I'm not saying they are exactly alike, because they certainly aren't. But they have some serious similarities. And then I look around at my house, not looking a lick like any of them.

And I get restless.

My walls aren't gray. My cabinets aren't painted white. I don't have dark hardwood floors. I don't have hardwood floors at all. I don't have white slip covers. I don't have neutral, muted, soothing tones all over my house. And it was really getting to me. I kept thinking about going for 'the fixer upper look'.

But then I remembered what I have been saying for a long time about Fixer Upper...even though I totally adore Chip and Joanna, there is no way I could live in a black and white house. I need more color than a basket of apples or a vase of flowers. That is not a pop of color in my world.

So I am learning to look around my house and be content with I see. To be thankful for our house. It isn't photo ready or all grays and whites. It isn't 'all of the things', at all. But it is us. It has 'friendly yellow'..yes thats the actual color name..walls. And I love them. I have a dark red chenille couch..and I love it. I have simple antiques and things I have collected over time that mean so much to me. I made the curtains in my living areas..deep red with flowers and red, yellow, green and blue checks too. And I love those too.

I am so thankful that I have taken a pause from drooling over all things insta and looked around my own house and realized I don't need gray walls and white cabinets and wood floors and all of the things, for my house to be 'just so'.

It already is. Because it's mine and it was lovingly curated over many years. And I don't plan on changing it anytime soon. And that's good.

Be content today, friends. :)

3 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

Good for you!!! If you're happy, don't worry about what other people are doing. Your opinion matters most. ;)
I still haven't gotten the whole instagram thing. I tried it for a while, but it just doesn't appeal to me....I'm thinking it's me, because everyone else seems to love it. ON occasion, I'll pop on there, but it seems to be my same FB friends posting the same things they post on FB. Don't even get me started on pinterest....such a rabbit hole. I need a 12 step program for that one.

Wade's World said...

It's easy to be discontent with our own lives when we live in a world filled with instagram and pinterest. It makes our human nature to covet just that much worse. I'm with you. I need color in my life, even if it doesn't mean that my house will be "pinnable" on social media!

Susan said...

I so agree - my house is not picture perfect and when we remodeled the kitchen a few years ago we didn’t do white cabinets! The horror! I kind of hate the pressure for everyone to have the same grey and white house. There are just so many better things to spend my time and money on!