Today I was just getting started buying groceries when I noticed a familiar face. It took a second or two for it to register just exactly where I knew her from. And then it hit me.
She was our pediatrician’s nurse from when both kids were babies up until just a couple of years ago when she had her first child. I loved her. And have often wondered what happened to her after her baby came.
I found out today that she’s now working at the children’s hospital where Bub was treated, but in a different department.
We chatted and caught up a little bit and then she asked me how long ago, how old was he, how long..all the usual questions regarding Bub and his illness.
And then she told me…Dr. XYZ cried and cried and cried when we found out about what was wrong with Bub.
We continued to talk some more and then she needed to get going, so we said our glad to see you’s and our goodbyes.
I turned to pick up some tomatoes and suddenly heard the weirdest sound. It was me. Choking back tears. I couldn’t get the thought of our sweet pedi, Dr. XYZ sobbing her heart out for our sweet little boy out of my mind.
I composed myself and moved on….willing myself not to fall apart into a puddle right in the middle of Walmart.
*on a side note, Dr. XYZ “retired” after she had kids. She has an amazing family and is taking time off to raise them. I’ve seen her a few times through the years. We saw her while we were out with Bub not too long after she left the practice…we were out and about over the Christmas break. We knew by then that it was Bub’s last holiday with us, but she did not know that, as she had stopped working before that bit of info trickled down to her. So I told her myself standing in the middle of the mall about his prognosis. And a few years later, I heard her yelling out Mrs. You Know Who…and I turned to see her waving frantically at me. We stood outside Target and chatted for a good half hour. And there have been a couple of other times I’ve seen her ‘out’ and we’ve gotten to talk a bit. I miss her. She is a special lady.
So was our nurse. I miss them both. : )
5 comments:
God bless these loving, hard-working, devoted women and all who have been/are in their care. I'm thankful that they could give their full attention to caring for you & yours, and then later, to their own children.
God bless you, choking back tears in the store. My heart goes out to you; I wish I could hug you now.
((Hugs))
A good nurse and doctor makes all the difference in the world. It sounds like you you had the best of both!
**tear**tear**
Hugs to you my sweet friend. Bub touched a lot of people; including me.
xoxoxo
What a touching thing to hear about your doctor crying over your precious boy. We need more doctors like her, don't we? May God continue to comfort you, Kay!
i think they are our lifelines when our kids are so little and new. they are the ones with the experiece and the tools to make our kids healthy and well. and we trust them SO MUCH! as an outsider i can see that your pediatrician must have been just devasted. thinking she had all the tools and then realizing that it was not enough... i am sure it makes you a different dr, if not a different person. i'm glad you finally had the chance to know that your family affected her heart. and i imagine that every connection is precious :)
Post a Comment